Fresh watermelon juice is one of my favorite beverages – simple, beautiful and refreshing! Adding cucumber and/or mint makes it even better. Here is an easy recipe for a summer beverage. It’s also a great way to use up a watermelon that may have lost some of its crisp texture in the refrigerator.
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Equipment: Blender, Knife
~4 c watermelon, chilled and cut into 1″ cubes (this is approximately equivalent to 1 slice from the center of a medium-sized watermelon)
1/2 c cucumber, cut into 1/2″ cubes
1/4 c fresh mint leaves, stems removed
1. Add cubed watermelon and cucumber to blender and puree on high for 1-2 minutes. The juice will be frothy and light pink.
2. Toss in mint leaves and puree for 10 seconds, just long enough to see flecks of mint in the juice.
3. Pour into glasses and serve. If watermelon wasn’t chilled, pour over ice.
– I have found the watermelon to be sweet enough, but if you prefer your drinks sweeter, add a tsp or 2 of agave nectar.
– This recipe makes a “pulpy” drink and retains all components of the whole fruit. However, if you dislike pulp, you could pour the juice through a strainer first. Alternatively, you could use a juicer.
– To give this drink a mojito twist, I’ve also added the juice of half of a lime.
Watermelon Cucumber Punch, New York Times, Published August 20, 2008